One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
All at once.‘swallowing every proposal that is made holus-bolus’
- ‘School holidays and daylight saving were brought forward holus-bolus and commuters warned of hefty transport delays.’
- ‘Ad hoc guidelines developed in response to an epidemic in the United Kingdom more than a decade ago have been implemented holus-bolus against Canadian beef in international markets.’
- ‘We cannot, in some cavalier fashion, adopt and transplant holus-bolus from either Europe, Asia, or the Chicago School of Economics.’
- ‘Ad hoc guidelines developed in response to an outbreak of epidemic proportions in Great Britain have been implemented holus-bolus in response to one sick cow.’
- ‘We're certainly not just going to pick up and apply holus-bolus what the Americans have done without ascertaining whether that is something that will work in Australia.’
Mid 19th century (originally dialect): perhaps pseudo-Latin for ‘whole bolus, whole lump’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.