One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A former duchy of the German kingdom of Saxony, situated in the southern part of the Jutland peninsula. A duchy of Denmark from 1474, it was taken by Prussia in 1866 and incorporated with the neighbouring duchy of Schleswig as the province of Schleswig-Holstein.
An animal of a black-and-white breed of large dairy cattle, originally raised in Friesland.
- ‘Cheese is huge business in a town where the community of Holsteins and Jerseys rivals the human population in size, where the high school's team name is the Cheesemakers.’
- ‘The farmer says the Holstein's fodder must be of high quality.’
- ‘Crossbreeding refers to breeding different types of cows, like a Holstein and a Jersey.’
- ‘Twenty-three hundred Holstein cattle were maintained at the dairy with 1300 cows milked three times daily.’
- ‘Raw milk supply is not an issue - the company processes milk from its own herd of 1,300 Holsteins.’
- ‘With a combined total of 25,000 Holstein cows including replacement heifers, Braum's owns its own milking herd of 10,000 cows.’
- ‘Still, most Wisconsin dairy producers favor Holsteins over Jerseys.’
- ‘His winning Holstein cow snatched the prize for the supreme cattle champion.’
- ‘When he and his family came to Canada five years ago, they built a barn, acquired 80 Holsteins and got to work.’
- ‘Much of his collection deals with important livestock such as Holstein cattle and Yorkshire pigs.’
- ‘Its 6,000 Holstein cattle loll in the sun waiting to be milked.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
- ‘On the other side of a barbed wire fence, a herd of Holsteins turns its full attention to the noisy newcomers.’
- ‘He once had a conventional dairy with 40 Holsteins in a stall barn.’
- ‘Without grain in summer, the Holsteins and Jerseys got too skinny.’
- ‘Cross-breeding Holstein dairy cows with Jerseys is boosting milk income on Pembrokeshire's spring calving farms.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.