Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A single type specimen upon which the description and name of a new species is based.Compare with syntype
- ‘Other skull elements are similar to those described in the holotype.’
- ‘Additional character state information was also incorporated from descriptions of holotypes and additional fossil material.’
- ‘To our knowledge, the holotype is the only other documented specimen in the species.’
- ‘The holotype and largest fragment of the new species is 59 mm high.’
- ‘The holotype of this species might be a juvenile as there are larger specimens in our collection.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.