One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘At the very least, though, she had produced a holophrase with the distinct meaning, ‘Get away from me you scary beasts!’’
- ‘We know too that before children use mature speech, they coo and babble, and then use holophrases and telegraphic sentences.’
- ‘Can early words (at least partially) be seen as holophrases in that they (at least partially) refer to whole propositions?’
- ‘However, they usually regard holophrases as important, being the child's earliest ways of initiating verbal communication.’
- ‘Some people have even suggested that over 60% of what we say consists of such fixed holophrases, or unanalysed wholes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.