Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The state of being holy.‘a life of holiness and total devotion to God’
sanctity, divinity, godliness, saintliness, sanctitude, sacredness, faith, devotion, devoutness, divineness, blessedness, spirituality, religiousness, piety, piousness, righteousness, goodness, perfection, virtue, virtuousness, purity, sinlessnessView synonyms
- ‘He was above all a holy man, but holiness is primarily about a person's relationship to God.’
- ‘Paul also tells us to lead quiet lives in godliness and holiness.’
- ‘It can and should be the proverbial ladder to heaven - a means of bringing holiness and sanctity into our lives.’
- ‘The sweet music brings holiness and purity of thought to the mind.’
- ‘A religious Jew tries to bring holiness into everything they do, by doing it as an act that praises God, and honours everything God has done.’
- ‘What if you took a moment to let go of the rushing and instead reconnected with a sense of holiness or inner peace?’
- ‘The priceless treasure of Israel is its unique Jewish identity, its spiritual power, its holiness.’
- ‘In other words, only those who persevere in faith and holiness prove that they are truly saved.’
- ‘The Scriptures teach righteousness and holiness of conduct.’
- ‘We too may come to a similar point of recognizing God's holiness and our own sins.’
- ‘In this way our entire lives may come to be an act of worship, encompassing purity and holiness.’
- ‘The worship of God must be carried out with holiness and purity.’
- ‘According to Jesus' interpretation of the law, God's chief attribute is mercy, not holiness.’
- ‘This is interpreted to mean that we should only seek to learn the Torah from a rabbi who resembles an angel in holiness and piety.’
- ‘Moses learns at that moment of contemplation, four things about holiness.’
- ‘All religions have their symbols of holiness through which the sacred flows into the mundane.’
- ‘I want to give up my selfish ways and follow your lead, for yours is the way of goodness and holiness.’
- ‘Essential to our growth in the knowledge of what God intends for us is our ongoing progress in holiness.’
- ‘I once read that when God created the world, sparks of his holiness were spread across the earth.’
- ‘At death I will experience for the first time perfect and glorious holiness.’
- 1.1A title or form of address given to the Pope, Orthodox patriarchs, and the Dalai Lama.
- ‘Prayers were conducted for the spread of the Buddha dharma, for the happiness of all sentient beings, and for a long and successful life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.’
- ‘His Holiness the Pope has made his first decision since the election.’
- ‘In the typical Tibetan home, there are photographs displayed of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and other incarnate masters.’
- ‘Tibetan refugees attribute much of their success in exile to the ongoing guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and their Protector.’
- ‘I became a Buddhist formally only in 1996, when I took the ceremony of refuge with His Holiness the Dalai Lama.’
- ‘We join with our fellow citizens and millions around the world who pray for continued strength and wisdom as His Holiness leads the Catholic Church.’
- ‘His Holiness the Dalai Lama sought asylum in India.’
- ‘The Buddha of Compassion or His Holiness the Dalai Lama has been reborn thirteen times.’
- ‘I am fortunate to find myself in the same town as His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tibet's spiritual and political leader, a simple monk.’
- ‘The story began about eighteen years ago, well before His Holiness was elevated to his current position of Supreme Patriarch.’
- ‘In it, His Holiness touches on many important aspects of spiritual practice.’
- ‘One recent autumn, I went to conduct a series of interviews with His Holiness during a rare respite in his schedule when he was officially on retreat.’
- ‘And then they heard as a holy God spoke His holy law, telling His people what His holiness meant for their lives.’
- ‘Tibet's message to the world is that it has offered its best in the person of His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama to the world community.’
- ‘So when a friend of mine invited me to attend teachings with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I signed on for two weeks worth of teachings.’
- ‘Here we survey a wide range of teachings by His Holiness, on topics from the personal to the political.’
- ‘There was considerable anxiety about His Holiness, much anxiety as to whether he would even be able to appear in public this Sunday in his hospital room.’
- ‘But let me tell you that when His Holiness the Pope was here, he spoke everyday, every afternoon you had him live on TV and radio.’
- ‘A news agency recently reported you as the spiritual adviser to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.’
- 1.2[as modifier]Denoting a Christian renewal movement originating in the mid 19th century among Methodists in the US, emphasizing the Wesleyan doctrine of the sanctification of believers.
- ‘It was only when Meyer reconciled these elements within himself that he could carry out his ministry as a holiness teacher.’
- ‘A former Methodist pastor and holiness preacher had established a bible school.’
- ‘Rooted in the holiness tradition of Moses, the religious leaders regard the law as central to Israel's culture.’
- ‘These people knew the holiness code cover to cover and could quote you chapter and verse.’
- ‘The current interest in spirituality speaks to the holiness movement that was at the core of it.’
- ‘He was deeply conscious, after his own holiness experience, of his place within the movement.’
- ‘The holiness experience, in Meyer's teaching, was received by faith and was accessible to all.’
Old English hālignes (see holy, -ness).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.