One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person on holiday away from home.
passenger, tourist, tripper, tourer, journeyer, voyager, excursionist, sightseer, visitor, globetrotter, jet-setterView synonyms
- ‘We have been very busy lately with holidaymakers from all over the UK.’
- ‘Both companies have promised holidaymakers that they will be able to reschedule their vacations at no extra charge.’
- ‘This is one of the most popular tourist destinations for domestic US holidaymakers.’
- ‘And a travel expert will be on hand to advise future holidaymakers of where to visit in Spain.’
- ‘Southern Italy has much to offer the holidaymaker.’
- ‘They said there was minimal disruption, although holidaymakers faced much longer baggage check queues.’
- ‘The worrying thing for holidaymakers and travel agents is the cut back on flights by major tour operators.’
- ‘Until now, holidaymakers have been forced to travel a day earlier via Heathrow or other hub airports to get to Florida.’
- ‘As part of the Italian Riviera, the entire coastline is a haven for holidaymakers both local and from across Europe.’
- ‘Table Mountain draws local holidaymakers as well as tourists from the four corners of the globe.’
- ‘The holidaymakers had been on a tour to Germany.’
- ‘St Kitts is a popular destination for holidaymakers, who are drawn by its stunning beaches and tropical forests.’
- ‘More than a third of holidaymakers are opting for tourist attractions in the UK and the number is expected to increase.’
- ‘More than 150 firefighters tackled the blaze in an area popular with walkers and holidaymakers.’
- ‘In August it is crammed with holidaymakers, and all the usual paraphernalia of a Mediterranean sunspot.’
- ‘The pilot told the holidaymakers that he had not encountered anything like the storm in 20 years of flying.’
- ‘Small guesthouses which rely on a steady flow of holidaymakers were hit when footpaths were closed to ramblers in the spring.’
- ‘Travel agents think the new services will prove helpful for holidaymakers.’
- ‘He also realised that a growing number of holidaymakers were travelling independently and would need transport.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.