One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person on holiday away from home.
passenger, tourist, tripper, tourer, journeyer, voyager, excursionist, sightseer, visitor, globetrotter, jet-setterView synonyms
- ‘We have been very busy lately with holidaymakers from all over the UK.’
- ‘The holidaymakers had been on a tour to Germany.’
- ‘The worrying thing for holidaymakers and travel agents is the cut back on flights by major tour operators.’
- ‘And a travel expert will be on hand to advise future holidaymakers of where to visit in Spain.’
- ‘Until now, holidaymakers have been forced to travel a day earlier via Heathrow or other hub airports to get to Florida.’
- ‘Both companies have promised holidaymakers that they will be able to reschedule their vacations at no extra charge.’
- ‘More than a third of holidaymakers are opting for tourist attractions in the UK and the number is expected to increase.’
- ‘Small guesthouses which rely on a steady flow of holidaymakers were hit when footpaths were closed to ramblers in the spring.’
- ‘This is one of the most popular tourist destinations for domestic US holidaymakers.’
- ‘He also realised that a growing number of holidaymakers were travelling independently and would need transport.’
- ‘Travel agents think the new services will prove helpful for holidaymakers.’
- ‘Table Mountain draws local holidaymakers as well as tourists from the four corners of the globe.’
- ‘Southern Italy has much to offer the holidaymaker.’
- ‘They said there was minimal disruption, although holidaymakers faced much longer baggage check queues.’
- ‘St Kitts is a popular destination for holidaymakers, who are drawn by its stunning beaches and tropical forests.’
- ‘As part of the Italian Riviera, the entire coastline is a haven for holidaymakers both local and from across Europe.’
- ‘More than 150 firefighters tackled the blaze in an area popular with walkers and holidaymakers.’
- ‘In August it is crammed with holidaymakers, and all the usual paraphernalia of a Mediterranean sunspot.’
- ‘The pilot told the holidaymakers that he had not encountered anything like the storm in 20 years of flying.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.