Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large, modern holiday camp.
- ‘We lived in Prague, where my father was chargé d' affaires at the British embassy, and we were at a little holiday village out in the countryside, at a place called Slapy.’
- ‘This area of the Lleyn Peninsula is better known for the holiday village of Abersoch, where every summer the beaches and waters come alive with the bright sails of yachts, sailing dinghies and windsurfers.’
- ‘By the time Novelli was 19 he had finished his national service and was working in Corsica, at an exclusive holiday village.’
- ‘The holiday village is about four miles from Penrith and set among more than 400 acres of woodland and lakes.’
- ‘Currently a holiday village is being upgraded and relaunched to make it an attractive venue in which to hold business and corporate events.’
- ‘The development within the national park includes 340 timber lodges, a holiday village with shops, restaurant and sports club and 60 further units of accommodation.’
- ‘Port Bourgenay is a custom-built holiday village in the Western Loire region of France, equipped with its own lake, harbour and four swimming pools.’
- ‘Other initiatives include the provision of retail outlets for Welsh produce to be sold to visitors to the holiday village.’
- ‘The holiday village is 50 m from the sea shore and will have pools, restaurants, shops and sports facilities.’
- ‘So far there have been few expressions of interest from people hoping to snap up one of the 600 jobs on offer at the holiday village, to be built on land neighbouring Oakwood Park.’
- ‘The company will build new accommodation, convert standard villas to executive suites and upgrade swimming pools and restaurants for its four holiday villages across the UK.’
- ‘The holiday village is within walking distance of the beach and is close to a number of shops, restaurants, sporting and leisure facilities.’
- ‘Perhaps we should just laze by one of the pools, read a book in the sun… or maybe have a lager and lunch in one of the bars here in the holiday village.’
- ‘The developers of the Bluestone project pledge that the holiday village, Waterworld and Snow Dome would bring 600 permanent jobs to the county.’
- ‘The 19-acre site will be developed as a holiday village, incorporating a new bedroom wing with 127 two and three bedroom suites and apartments.’
- ‘The full development consists of a waterworld, holiday village, 340 timber lodges and a Snow Dome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.