Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A course of action designed to maintain the status quo under difficult circumstances:‘the best we can hope for is an uneasy holding operation’
- ‘The barricade itself was purely a holding operation.’
- ‘It is intended to be an emergency holding operation.’
- ‘At first it was a holding operation, with roofs re-tiled and chimneys rebuilt.’
- ‘This year is much more about a holding operation, to start building things up again,’ he said.’
- ‘The air campaign in the north-west area was more a holding operation and potential targets were more distant.’
- ‘There were holding operations under successive governments that were forced to make a concession here or there.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.