One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A course of action designed to maintain the status quo under difficult circumstances.‘the best we can hope for is an uneasy holding operation’
- ‘The barricade itself was purely a holding operation.’
- ‘It is intended to be an emergency holding operation.’
- ‘The air campaign in the north-west area was more a holding operation and potential targets were more distant.’
- ‘This year is much more about a holding operation, to start building things up again,’ he said.’
- ‘There were holding operations under successive governments that were forced to make a concession here or there.’
- ‘At first it was a holding operation, with roofs re-tiled and chimneys rebuilt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.