One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company created to buy and own the shares of other companies, which it then controls.
- ‘Nevertheless, the process of going from state-run banks to a financial holding company may be at least two to three years off.’
- ‘The holding company now owns a controlling interest in the bank.’
- ‘He stated that back at the Shareholder Agreement stage they contemplated a holding company to hold their shares.’
- ‘This holding company provides an excellent platform for them to pursue larger business deals.’
- ‘It is owned by a holding company, which in turn is part-owned by a company registered in Jersey.’
- ‘The question is whether the holding company can use its shares for its own benefit.’
- ‘The airlines will create a holding company that will enable each carrier to retain its own brand and employees and most of its route networks.’
- ‘Most public companies have a holding company and subsidiaries.’
- ‘If sufficient numbers accept, the two firms will form a joint holding company to ensure the brands keep trading side by side for at least three years.’
- ‘The headquarters is a holding company in that it serves as a profit centre, and does not otherwise direct activities at the periphery.’
- ‘A while ago, he decided to establish a holding company to control his myriad interests in grand prix racing.’
- ‘The holding company is privately owned; the only non-family shareholder is the chief executive.’
- ‘Where the parent of a bank is a financial holding company, the task of consolidated supervision is given to the Member State which authorized the bank.’
- ‘However, to qualify as a business asset, the shareholding must be in a trading company or a holding company in a trading group.’
- ‘It is generally understood to be a diverse group of large industries controlled by a single family usually through a central holding company.’
- ‘The current shareholders will be represented in the holding company.’
- ‘A joint holding company will be created to ensure the brands keep trading side by side for at least three years.’
- ‘I am a director for a holding company of one of New Zealand's larger building companies.’
- ‘The government intends to divide the Austrian Federal Railways into nine private companies run by a holding company.’
- ‘An option could be to put the stadium in the hands of a York sporting trust or a holding company in which interested parties have a share.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.