One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large rectangular bag with handles and a shoulder strap, used for carrying clothes and other personal belongings.
suitcase, case, valise, portmanteau, carryall, grip, overnight bag, overnighter, flight bag, travelling bag, gladstone bag, carpet bagView synonyms
- ‘I had a small holdall with clean clothes and some books, and my computer holder.’
- ‘He had a local accent and was carrying a holdall.’
- ‘From the periphery of his vision he noted that Ben had shoved most of his belongings into a holdall he was taking with him.’
- ‘No bags, rucksacks, backpacks or holdalls more than eight inches square.’
- ‘He was last seen wearing blue or black jeans, black trainers, a grey jacket and was carrying a red holdall with the word ‘Travel’ on it.’
- ‘Instead, criminals are still using the traditional method of carrying the cash in holdalls.’
- ‘Although the museum asks that bags be left at the entrance, they walk through its artefact-filled rooms carrying large holdalls.’
- ‘Detectives who searched his home found a holdall, items snatched from the post office, a police scanner and his bingo membership card.’
- ‘The men were wearing shirts and ties and were about 5ft 10 in and carried two bags, a holdall and a laptop bag, which were used to steal the equipment.’
- ‘I sat with my holdall on my lap.’
- ‘‘The smaller one, the one with the shotgun, returned to the exhibition room carrying two holdalls over his shoulder,’ said Mr Fisher.’
- ‘As this tends to involve an overnight stay I put everything in a holdall and I try and keep it to the minimum as I hate having to check stuff in.’
- ‘Stuart believes that the stolen items, which were in a blue holdall, may have been dumped somewhere by whoever stole them.’
- ‘I've lost count of the number of tube travellers I've seen laden with both tiny handbag and big rucksack, or huge holdall and little shoulder bag.’
- ‘The four staff members gave different descriptions of the robbers, their clothes and holdalls allegedly used to remove the paintings.’
- ‘If you are well under the luggage allowance on the outward bound trip, that allows you to bring back plenty of goodies in your spare holdall which should be of a light nylon type that will squash down.’
- ‘He has a snake tattoo on his right forearm and was last seen wearing blue or black jeans, black trainers and grey jacket and carrying a red holdall with the word TRAVEL on it.’
- ‘Both men carried holdalls and forced the staff members into the vault of the bank, where they stole a large quantity of cash and other items.’
- ‘She told Mr Clarke that everything inside the blue holdall belonged to her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.