One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remain the most important.‘the principles of quantum theory hold the field as the convincing account of the physics of the microworld’
- ‘A slightly Oval-processed electric piano opens ‘TTV,’ but it's the malfunctioning, algorithmic percussion that holds the field before Cooper and Eustis let a solo flute furnish the track with sentimental elegance.’
- ‘Attacked and defended by a thousand politicians and pamphleteers, it has held the field as the only theory which provides an intelligible, self-consistent, workable system.’
- ‘Ussher was a distinguished scholar, contributing to early Irish history and biblical chronology: his argument that the world was created in 4004 bc held the field for decades.’
- ‘In Tacitus's obituary he is an unamiable novus homo (first man of his family to reach the consulship); the view that he was identical with Quintus Curtius Rufus, the historian of Alexander the Great, now holds the field.’
- ‘After 1696 Sternhold and Hopkins was spoken of as the ‘Old Version’ and Tate and Brady as the ‘New Version’, and this ‘New Version’ (or, rather, the two versions together) held the field right up to the introduction of the modern hymnbook.’
- ‘Generalisations of doubtful validity still hold the field in many instances, crying out for a new generation of detectives, scholars, and writers.’
- ‘Churchill's own World War II memoirs, appearing shortly after the war and bolstered by large quantities of official documents, held the field for many years in shaping popular as well as scholarly understanding of the war.’
- ‘Caesar and Tacitus's miserablist view of the natives still, incredibly, holds the field.’
- ‘With so many other players holding the field, the inherently weak powers of the state engineer gave him little power to direct negotiations.’
- ‘It was primarily a qualitative system holding the field against both mathematical astronomers and Paracelsian chemists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.