One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a low opinion of someone or something.‘I began to dislike Linton, and to excuse his father for holding him cheap’
- ‘Rather than holding their manhood cheap, they step forward to share in the glory.’
- ‘If it continues its insincere attitude over its nuclear development programs and the abduction issue, and holds the international community cheap, it will end up in stewing in its own juice.’
- ‘Even if you don't believe in the cause yourself, you have to admit that this is the sort of thing that makes gentlemen safe abed hold their manhood cheap.’
- ‘It was an ability that made those who hadn't dared to try think themselves accursed, holding their manhoods cheap.’
- ‘I could tell you that at least one person would not hold his manhood cheap and that he still has the moustaches to prove it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.