One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remain silent about something.‘he nodded indulgently at such pertness and obstinacy, but held his peace’
- ‘At this stage I believe a reviewer should hold his peace, at least until his readers can get to see the movie.’
- ‘At present I am biding my time, and holding my peace.’
- ‘It was starting to become annoying, but I tried to hold my peace.’
- ‘Too many, however, held their peace, at least until the next atrocity.’
- ‘When a reviewer has had his say about a book, by and large he should thereafter hold his peace.’
- ‘But I'll admit, it was great to see him happy, so I held my peace.’
- ‘So please, if anyone has any ideas, anything at all, please share now or forever hold your peace.’
- ‘So you had best hold your peace and bide your time.’
- ‘I held my peace, knowing sadly that she spoke the truth.’
- ‘Crew members growled unintelligible threats beneath their breath, yet held their peace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.