One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Hesitate to act or speak.‘he held back, remembering the mistake he had made before’
hesitate, pause, stop oneself, restrain oneself, desist, forbear, discontinue, withhold from doing something, refrain from doing somethingView synonyms
- ‘However, it holds back from actually making a critical judgment.’
- ‘There was little indication yesterday that producers were holding back but there are still four days to go.’
- ‘Our very opinionated panel never holds back on the big stories of the week.’
- ‘The fear of doing something wrong holds back so many people when learning how to do things.’
- ‘This is the writer's strength - when she holds back she makes the reader want to take those imaginative leaps.’
- ‘We're holding back on our enthusiasm until we are told that exchange of contracts has been scheduled firmly.’
- ‘Whereas most DJs put on this all pervasive and all-knowing on-air persona, he holds back and comes across as merely another average guy just trying to get his head around this strange world we live in.’
- ‘I've been holding back from commenting on them until I've had a chance to let my impressions settle a little.’
- ‘This match began in a frenzy of punches with neither boxer holding back nor defending themselves with great aplomb.’
- ‘Part of me is still for holding back as I don't want either of us to get hurt, but each day we just seem to grow deeper and deeper in love with each other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.