An edible marine fish related to the hakes, found off the southern coasts of New Zealand.
- ‘Diet consists of squid, octopus, anchovies, lanternfish, hoki, and sometimes penguins.’
- ‘But hoki has characteristics almost better suited to crispy deep fried battering.’
- ‘Its new ranges include fish and vegetables for steaming as well as fishmeals made from hoki, a sustainable alternative to cod.’
- ‘Birdseye is replacing some of its traditional cod fish fingers with a new, more readily available white fish found off the coast of New Zealand called hoki.’
- ‘Pollack, coley and hoki (from MSC-accredited fishery) are alternatives.’
- ‘New Zealand fish such as trevally, snapper and hoki are exported for the sashimi market to the United States.’
- ‘New Zealand hoki is one of the main species so far to qualify for sustainable stock management.’
- ‘Pour some olive oil in an oven-proof dish, slice the hoki and place them in the dish.’
- ‘500g white fish (ideally something like terakihi, but cheaper fish such as hoki or warehou will be ok), cut into 4 serves’
Late 19th century: from Maori.