One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet, spicy dark red sauce made from soya beans, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and various spices, widely used in southern Chinese cooking.
- ‘Add the snap peas, broth, oranges, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and green onions.’
- ‘For here there is sushi, there is crispy duck with hoisin sauce, there is dim sum, pad thai, Szechwan chicken, Shanghai snapper, vegetable curry and soft-shell crab with Mexican chilli.’
- ‘Behind that is a jar of hoisin sauce that we got when we had Chinese dumplings.’
- ‘Add mandarin slices, bell pepper and hoisin sauce and bring to a simmer.’
- ‘The Szechuan style pork was served with crispy won ton strips, which is an interesting idea, but the flavour was one-dimensional and tasted strongly of hoisin.’
- ‘In a small bowl, mix hoisin sauce and water until well blended.’
- ‘Add the reserved stock, the two tablespoons of soy sauce, the hoisin sauce and the sugar and leave to simmer until reduced and well flavoured.’
- ‘Whole-wheat spaghetti has a springy texture and a hearty flavor that works well with a glaze of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice.’
- ‘It's got soy and hoisin sauce - enough salty ingredients for any self-respecting cabbage salad.’
- ‘Experiment adding a tablespoon of hoisin sauce, chopped garlic, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of five spice powder for a more Chinese barbecue flavour.’
- ‘It tasted like a mixture of chocolate, hoisin sauce and fruit jelly sweets.’
- ‘It was bland but well worth the price and easily seasoned to taste with some hoisin sauce, hot red pepper paste and Sriracha hot chili sauce, which are on every table.’
- ‘Thai Rice Noodles is dressed in coconut hoisin sauce and garlic chili paste.’
- ‘Look for Chinese rice wine and hoisin or char sui sauce in a well-stocked supermarket or Asian market.’
- ‘If you're shopping at a supermarket, buy roast chicken or pork tenderloin and serve the meats sliced, with hoisin sauce and green onions.’
- ‘Fortunately, there's soya and hoisin on the table if you need to adjust flavourings.’
- ‘A wide range of spicy sauces like chilly bean sauce, hoisin sauce and garlic oyster sauce are a must with the food and accompaniments like steamed/fried rice and mixed hakka noodles.’
- ‘Stir-fry cooked greens in peanut oil, add ginger, chili peppers, and/or hoisin sauce.’
- ‘Reduce the heat to low and add the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, vinegar and water.’
- ‘Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hoisin, sugar, vinegar, and wine/sherry in a small bowl, cover it, and set it aside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.