One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A malignant though often curable disease of lymphatic tissues typically causing painless enlargement of the lymph nodes, liver, and spleen.
- ‘These are used for treating leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and lung cancer, among others.’
- ‘Shortly before this interview, Groff received a phone call from someone about to undergo a stem cell transplant for Hodgkin's disease - just like he had.’
- ‘The most common first symptom of Hodgkin's disease is a painless enlargement of the lymph nodes located in the neck, above the collarbone, in the underarm area, or in the groin.’
- ‘Early trials, on diseases such as childhood leukaemia and Hodgkin's disease, were discouraging, the toxic chemicals used almost invariably proving poisonous not only to the cancerous cells but also to normal, unaffected cells.’
- ‘At 22, he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, a cancer which affects the lymph glands.’
- ‘Both Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma occur in children.’
- ‘Seven years ago, the Glaswegian was diagnosed as having Hodgkin's disease, a cancer which affects the lymph glands.’
- ‘His beloved sister, Marie, was diagnosed with having Hodgkin's disease in 1967.’
- ‘It is more than seven times as common as the other general type of lymphoma - Hodgkin's disease.’
- ‘In Hodgkin's disease, cells in the lymphatic system grow abnormally and may spread beyond the lymphatic system.’
- ‘The discovery struck fear into all the family, as she had previously been treated for Hodgkin's disease, a cancer which strikes at the body's lymphatic tissues, when she was just five years old.’
- ‘This includes patients who are having transplants, or who have conditions like leukaemia or Hodgkin's disease.’
- ‘No further relapse of Hodgkin's disease was observed during 2 years of follow-up.’
- ‘Low-grade fever that may be associated with night sweats is the most common systemic symptom of Hodgkin's disease.’
- ‘It began with a 28-year-old girl who graduated from the school and was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease and thyroid cancer a few years later.’
- ‘The money is spent locally, caring for children and young people suffering from cancer, Hodgkin's disease, leukaemia, epilepsy, blood disorders or acquired brain injury.’
- ‘Laura was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, a year ago.’
- ‘The study also provides new information regarding the time to development of lung cancer following treatment for Hodgkin's disease.’
- ‘The patient, who has not been named, became sterile after undergoing chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the white blood cells.’
- ‘Women who received treatment for Hodgkin's disease at a young age have an increase chance of developing breast cancer.’
Mid 19th century: named after Thomas Hodgkin (1798–1866), the English physician who first described it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.