One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A team game played between two teams of eleven players each, using hooked sticks with which the players try to drive a small hard ball towards goals at opposite ends of a field. In North America it is called field hockey to distinguish it from ice hockey.
- ‘The centre is host to a number of different sports including hockey, soccer and cricket.’
- ‘Admittedly, hockey is a team game, and we cannot attribute all losses just to one person.’
- ‘Major team sports include rugby, soccer and cricket for boys and hockey and netball for girls.’
- ‘The team will need to tighten its defence, play possession hockey and score more goals if it is not to be relegated.’
- ‘What Indian players need is competitive hockey rather than long overdrawn camps.’
- ‘So successfully in fact, that she was picked for Kent's youth teams for both hockey and cricket.’
- ‘Football, hockey and tennis will be available for both school and community use.’
- ‘Vicky has physiotherapy every day at school and plays hockey for the school team.’
- ‘It will mean we'll be able to extend our facilities for hockey, football, netball and basketball.’
- ‘There is no indication what the surface was, but it served for all manner of games from football to hockey, to cricket.’
- ‘It was a night of disappointment for Orkney on Friday as the senior football and hockey teams lost out.’
- ‘After half an hour a few more people start to turn up and the hockey gets under way.’
- ‘In truth, though, Oxford did not produce the hockey they are no doubt capable of in the second period.’
- ‘Now children have the choice of all these plus football, hockey and gymnastics.’
- ‘The garden is situated beyond the Camellia House, behind the wall that runs alongside the hockey pitch.’
- ‘Kevin, a goal keeper, plays hockey all over the world as his work takes him to new places.’
- ‘But this time on the synthetic turf pitches that are an integral part of the modern game of hockey.’
- ‘Andy Gard was a healthy teenager who loved all sports and played hockey for his county.’
- ‘The second-half saw an excellent game of hockey with both teams determined to dominate.’
- ‘She is in Huntington School girls' football team and enjoys playing hockey and netball.’
Early 16th century: of unknown origin.
- variant spelling of oche
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.