One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In winter they wore layers and layers of clothing and hobnailed boots to keep warm.’
- ‘The streets were so very quiet that the steady tread of my hobnailed boots muffled by the ground frost sounded unnatural.’
- ‘A century ago, mountains were climbed in hobnailed boots with stafflike ice axes, footsteps laboriously cut all the way to the top.’
- ‘About twenty soldiers entered the church, making a lot of noise with their hobnailed boots, and put their guns in a corner with a guard in front of them.’
- ‘Didn't Mother frequently complain about how and why he must wear hobnailed boots, such was the racket he made early in the morning?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.