One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The streets were so very quiet that the steady tread of my hobnailed boots muffled by the ground frost sounded unnatural.’
- ‘A century ago, mountains were climbed in hobnailed boots with stafflike ice axes, footsteps laboriously cut all the way to the top.’
- ‘About twenty soldiers entered the church, making a lot of noise with their hobnailed boots, and put their guns in a corner with a guard in front of them.’
- ‘Didn't Mother frequently complain about how and why he must wear hobnailed boots, such was the racket he made early in the morning?’
- ‘In winter they wore layers and layers of clothing and hobnailed boots to keep warm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.