One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small farm operated primarily for pleasure rather than profit.
- ‘"We're seeing more growth in the hobby farms with small animals, horses and pets."’
- ‘But from his perspective, the hobby farm in a remote, rural context was an oasis, not a prison.’
- ‘The magnitude of the voluntary subsidy by small-scale operators to their hobby farms now swamps the profit performance of larger farms.’
- ‘As a retirement "hobby" he and Claire developed an 18 acre hobby farm growing kiwifruit in the Nelson area.’
- ‘It was a hobby farm, whose owner was mostly concerned with his rosebushes.’
- ‘The place had been a hobby farm owned by his wealthy stepfather who was now very ill.’
- ‘Despite growth in farm size and an increase in the number of smaller hobby farms, the total acreage in farming has declined as urban sprawl claims farmland.’
- ‘Melanie Lansing Winters (Susan Sarandon) lives a picturesque existence on an expansive hobby farm with her crotchety professor husband David (Christopher Plummer).’
- ‘A population of about 6,000 live in detached houses on large urban blocks or on five acre hobby farms / market gardens.’
- ‘Both of his grandfathers were Wisconsin dairy farmers, and he grew up on a small "hobby farm" in southern Illinois.’
- ‘Having grown up on a small hobby farm in northern New York, I have a lot of love for animals.’
- ‘To her surprise, there was interest in dividing the land into 60-acre parcels and selling it for hobby farms.’
- ‘There are people with hobby farms, there are people with bush blocks.’
- ‘One group makes up the majority of farm numbers, known as hobby farms.’
- ‘He is married with three children and lives on a hobby farm near Dubbo with Albert the contented Murray Grey bull.’
- ‘Property agents in New South Wales are reporting a deluge of capital city investors buying traditional country blocks and not just hobby farms.’
- ‘In September 1992 the defendant sold his and bought a 25-acre hobby farm.’
- ‘Subdivisions and hobby farms are sprouting up across the land, where property values now range from $3,000 to $24,000 per acre.’
- ‘I call it my hobby farm.’
- ‘He also loved his hobby farm, which he built with his own hands and where he raised horses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.