One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A greyish-white crystalline deposit of frozen water vapour formed in clear still weather on vegetation, fences, etc.
frost, ground frost, rime, rime frost, verglasView synonyms
- ‘The sun rises in a sky of liquid gold which as it touches the fields and hedges causes the hoar frost to gleam and sparkle.’
- ‘Manchester weathermen said a hoar frost may have been responsible for Metrolink's problems.’
- ‘Seely states that surface hoar frost forms only during the summer due to sunshine and fog.’
- ‘He opens his feature on the shoreline of the savage Barents Sea as a group of 30 men trudge up a snow-covered dune, eyebrows laced with hoar frost.’
- ‘In December, when the chill had really taken hold there were a few days of spectacular hoar frost.’
- ‘The trees, covered in the thick hoar frost of morning, reached their leafless branches up, like hands stretching towards the heavens.’
- ‘Their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun.’
- ‘To his amazement, they would ‘take a bath every morning even when the hoar frost was flying thick in the air.’’
- ‘And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.’
- ‘There was a thick hoar frost on the planks of the bench.’
- ‘And if you want a casing made out of etiolated Saskatchewan hoar frost you can probably get that too.’
- ‘This would have resulted in more melt or hoar frost layers (cloudy bands), which is one of the variables used for annual layer determinations.’
- ‘They have a long flowering season and if you leave them on through winter, the dead flowerheads look beautiful with a covering of hoar frost.’
- ‘It is actually dew if it forms at temperatures above freezing, but if it forms below freezing it is hoar frost.’
- ‘Willow groves coated in hoar frost sparkle like jewels in the winter sunshine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.