One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sandwich made of a long roll filled with meat, cheese, and salad.
- ‘The menu shows specialty and create-your-own pizzas, appetizers, hoagie sandwiches and salads.’
- ‘Oh, and if you find a hoagie in there, let me know.’
- ‘He's got places to go, people to see, hoagies to inhale.’
- ‘Come in and buy one hoagie and get the second hoagie free!’
- ‘Right, the afternoon's getting on and I've got a date with a hoagie, a newspaper, some greenery and a two-wheeled fun machine.’
- ‘The bowls are filled with chips; the hoagies are en route from the local sandwich joint.’
- ‘As soon as we had put out all the drinks, and the snacks, and even hoagie sandwiches the doorbell was ringing.’
- ‘But how could we enjoy our Super Bowl party without a hoagie?’
- ‘Turmoil wafts through Eagledom like the whiff of a fresh hoagie through the city air.’
- ‘His other business - a hoagie shop - was shut down by city health inspectors.’
- ‘Today for lunch were hoagie sandwiches, chips, and a Rice Krispy treat that looked kinda old.’
- ‘One expert likened it to building a hoagie: Every layer you add makes the sandwich that much more flavorful.’
- ‘The menu also has calzones, hoagies and salads.’
- ‘I'd say, go to cheap bars and buy hoagies for dinner.’
- ‘The Neumann seniors line up to get their yearbooks, sodas and hoagies.’
- ‘Or stroll South Street for some funky clothing shops, tattoo parlors, late-night music spots, or pizza and hoagies.’
- ‘Ellie and Katie finally bond when they go on a trip to the ‘big city’ of Lancaster, Pa., and Ellie buys her a hoagie.’
- ‘I guess a hoagie is what you people in Jersey call it.’
- ‘If the track boosters decide they want jackets for the team this year, they'll go sell hoagies to pay for them.’
- ‘This crew managed to order cheese steak hoagies, which Philadelphia is famous for.’
Of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.