One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural A rash of round, red welts on the skin that itch intensely, sometimes with dangerous swelling, caused by an allergic reaction, typically to specific foods.Also called urticaria or nettle rash
- ‘Symptoms may include watery eyes, wheezing, hives, rash, and even life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.’
- ‘Nettle rash (also known as hives or urticaria) is characterised by a lumpy, itchy rash with red spots.’
- ‘It often happens at the same time as hives or urticaria, which are itchy swellings on the surface of the skin.’
- ‘Cursed with allergies in his first years, Koby often erupted in hives and eczema.’
- ‘Doctors may also refer to it as cold-induced hives (urticaria).’
- ‘Work-related symptoms often were reported among latex positive participants and included hives, eye symptoms, and wheezing.’
- ‘Stress worsens many skin conditions - such as psoriasis, eczema, hives and acne - and can be a trigger for asthma attacks.’
- ‘For a severe attack of hives or angioedema, you may need an emergency injection of adrenaline and a trip to the emergency room.’
- ‘They could get a rash, hives, or have problems breathing.’
- ‘The itchy red welts of hives on the surface of the skin are usually an allergic reaction to food or medicine.’
- ‘I break out in hives when I'm in the sun for more than 10 minutes.’
- ‘Allergic reactions to medications or foods can cause acute hives or angioedema.’
- ‘The second CRNA cannot wear a stethoscope around her neck because its rubber tubing causes her skin to break out in hives.’
- ‘Allergic symptoms could include rash, hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.’
- ‘Allergic reactions can cause swelling, hives, and difficulty breathing.’
- ‘Some skin conditions, including eczema, scabies and hives, can cause itching.’
- ‘Too many people had experienced hives, diarrhea or life-threatening asthma attacks when exposed to these chemicals.’
- ‘If you're extremely sensitive, you might break out in hives and your eyes or lips may swell severely.’
- ‘Your doctor might advise you to take over-the-counter antihistamines or anti-itching lotions for a rash, hives and itching.’
- ‘But just one pill made me itch and break out in hives.’
Early 16th century (originally Scots, denoting various conditions causing a rash, especially in children): of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.