One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who hits a ball with a bat, racket, stick, etc. to score runs or points in a game.‘I was a pretty good hitter in baseball’‘a hitter of sixes’
- ‘His sharp-breaking curveball fooled hitters in early batting practice sessions.’
- ‘He's never tried very hard to fool hitters or set them up; he simply dared them to hit his cutter.’
- ‘The hard-throwing Weaver has a knack for challenging left-handed hitters in a manner that reminds me of a young Frank Tanana.’
- ‘The number of runs scored by a home run doesn't depend on the hitter, but on how many runners are already on base.’
- ‘He was one of the greatest right-handed hitters of all time.’
- ‘"I faced more right-handed hitters today, so I threw more curveballs," Park said.’
- ‘Cleveland hitters swung at and missed five of the 79 pitches.’
- ‘He wants his pitchers to be willing to challenge hitters and believes they'll build confidence when they find they can get major league hitters out.’
- ‘Instead of trying to overpower hitters, he throws hittable balls and lets his team's defense do the work.’
- ‘The team acquired two superstar hitters during the off-season.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.