One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often in place names A landing place or small port for ships or boats.
harbour, dock, docks, haven, mooring, jetty, pier, marinaView synonyms
- ‘I forbid any boat to ply at any hithe of Cambridgeshire.’
- ‘There was a line of hithes in Cambridge between Magdalene Bridge and the Newnham Mill Pool.’
- ‘It was in the neighbourhood of the hithe where garlic was sold for the use of the inhabitants of London.’
- ‘When the hithe fell into the hands of King Stephen, he bestowed it on William de Ypres.’
- ‘Fourteen foreign ships, laden with fish, arrived at Billingsgate, which ships should have arrived at the said Hithe.’
Old English hȳþ, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.