often in place names A landing place or small port for ships or boats.
harbour, dock, docks, haven, mooring, jetty, pier, marinaView synonyms
- ‘When the hithe fell into the hands of King Stephen, he bestowed it on William de Ypres.’
- ‘It was in the neighbourhood of the hithe where garlic was sold for the use of the inhabitants of London.’
- ‘Fourteen foreign ships, laden with fish, arrived at Billingsgate, which ships should have arrived at the said Hithe.’
- ‘I forbid any boat to ply at any hithe of Cambridgeshire.’
- ‘There was a line of hithes in Cambridge between Magdalene Bridge and the Newnham Mill Pool.’
Old English hȳþ, of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.