One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often in place names A landing place or small port for ships or boats.
harbour, dock, docks, haven, mooring, jetty, pier, marinaView synonyms
- ‘Fourteen foreign ships, laden with fish, arrived at Billingsgate, which ships should have arrived at the said Hithe.’
- ‘There was a line of hithes in Cambridge between Magdalene Bridge and the Newnham Mill Pool.’
- ‘It was in the neighbourhood of the hithe where garlic was sold for the use of the inhabitants of London.’
- ‘I forbid any boat to ply at any hithe of Cambridgeshire.’
- ‘When the hithe fell into the hands of King Stephen, he bestowed it on William de Ypres.’
Old English hȳþ, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.