One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be exactly what is required.‘the cup of coffee hit the spot’
- ‘The rest is all pretty much in the same vein and hits the spot almost every time.’
- ‘The occasional dish hit the spot, but for the most part the food was tired.’
- ‘It's the pride and sense of achievement in that last line that hits the spot.’
- ‘This hit the spot for me and the mild cheese and spinach acted as a good foil to the punchy pesto and distinctive asparagus.’
- ‘It was a little over-chilled, but hit the spot nonetheless.’
- ‘One of the conclusions hits the spot, but the others, while funny, are sitcom laughs.’
- ‘It hits the spot when I'm in the mood for a creamy, fruity, snack.’
- ‘It certainly hit the spot with that target market, with a redemption rate of 33 per cent.’
- ‘If you gradually cut back on added sugar you may even find that a peach or an apple hits the spot.’
- ‘When it's good, it hits the spot in perfect fashion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.