One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Go to bed.
- ‘Whenever you wear make-up, you should always remember to wash it all off before hitting the hay.’
- ‘We settled down to watch some more mindless pap on the TV until it was time to hit the hay.’
- ‘He's making his usual to-do list before hitting the hay.’
- ‘We got home safely, sat chatting for a while over steaming mugs of tea and then hit the hay for a couple of hours.’
- ‘I plan to go for a few beers down the local pub before hitting the hay.’
- ‘Well, it's getting late and I need to hit the hay.’
- ‘Our houseguest hit the hay at one and I went up to sleep.’
- ‘I'll usually check my email once more before hitting the hay at night.’
- ‘My days started and ended early, with the clinic recommending that guests hit the hay by 9pm.’
- ‘The weekend was finished off in the best way possible, with Amelia sleeping soundly from 8pm until 1am and me hitting the hay at 9.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.