One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Come to a sudden unsuccessful end.‘his world championship campaign looked as if it had hit the buffers’
- ‘Bradford & Bingley's dogged pursuit of Macclesfield for the play-off place in the National League finally hit the buffers on Saturday.’
- ‘Attempts to hoist a 20 ft high locomotive statue which commemorates the past glory of Horwich Loco Works have continued to hit the buffers.’
- ‘A city centre shop opened amid high hopes by the National Railway Museum less than two years ago has hit the buffers.’
- ‘A number of other fresh start schools across the country have hit the buffers with many set to close later this year.’
- ‘His ambitious reform plans had hit the buffers.’
- ‘Plans to run Eurostar train services from York to Paris have finally hit the buffers.’
- ‘Television income, so long the sport's gravy train, has hit the buffers.’
- ‘Witham's long-awaited rail bridge project has finally hit the buffers.’
- ‘But Hall's vision hit the buffers and he lost millions of pounds.’
- ‘No sooner are the local elections over than the government's decentralisation plan has hit the buffers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.