Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for dialectical materialism
- ‘One notable example of non-Marxist historical materialism is Hannah Arendt's The Origins Of Totalitarianism.’
- ‘The idea of a propaganda department is basically against the historical materialism of Karl Marx.’
- ‘Interesting, but can Stoppard always have been so ignorant as to have thought that socialism was synonymous with historical materialism?’
- ‘In the next section we will outline some of the central features of the Marxist approach - or historical materialism as it is often known.’
- ‘So there we are, Kamm's tortoise is belly up and, for what its worth, only historical materialism can stand it back on its feet.’
- ‘The working class uprisings against Stalinism did not refute historical materialism.’
- ‘Perhaps, then, I could put in a word for historical materialism?’
- ‘This kind of thinking isn't historical materialism.’
- ‘In sum, scientific atheism was not a science or even a social science but a Marxist-inspired faith in the moral superiority of belief in historical materialism.’
- ‘In our opinion this theme could provide the subject matter for the most fruitful work of our Marxist seminars on historical materialism.’
- ‘Among the party theoreticians is Michael Nier, a former university teacher of historical materialism in the GDR.’
- ‘The Juche idea is quite unlike Marxist historical materialism.’
- ‘In his programmatic pronouncements about historical materialism, Marx does not specifically mention science in the superstructure.’
- ‘Marx has applied his theory of historical materialism to capitalist society in both The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital, among others.’
- ‘What this sad old song reveals about Mr. Daniels is his failure to truly have embraced historical materialism.’
- ‘In that same year Arturo Labriola published his most important work on historical materialism.’
- ‘Our first task, though, is to set out Marx's underlying theory of history: historical materialism.’
- ‘Perhaps more than the other animisms, historical materialism is based on a total confusion of the categories of value and knowledge.’
- ‘He indicates, for example, that his own method of interpretation is that of historical materialism.’
- ‘This is at heart a study of labor relations in the production of coffee, through the framework of historical materialism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.