Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The study of the history and development of languages.
- ‘Training in psychology does not normally cover historical linguistics.’
- ‘He also uses as evidence facts from the more traditional fields of archeology and historical linguistics.’
- ‘The concepts of ‘Aryan’ and ‘Semitic’ races were gradually transferred out of historical linguistics into anthropology.’
- ‘There had been isolated sprouts of good ideas but scientific historical linguistics had yet to develop.’
- ‘No, I don't want to disown Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm, the first of whom is something of a hero of historical linguistics.’
- ‘He has published articles on historical linguistics in the Cahiers d' Etudes Africaines.’
- ‘Also at issue in virtually all of his stories is his fascination with both literary and linguistic theory and historical linguistics.’
- ‘An example that I've discussed is New York Times science reporter's lack of understanding of the rudiments of historical linguistics.’
- ‘The search would be most effective if it involved the fields of archaeology, historical linguistics and genetics.’
- ‘The methodology of historical linguistics developed for a reason - replacing it with a methodology that cannot be falsified.’
- ‘Since historical linguistics is by now a firmly grounded science, there really was no doubt about this.’
- ‘And why was this published in Nature, a journal with no expertise in historical linguistics?’
- ‘Many of the established holders of chairs in historical linguistics don't believe in investigating these distant relationships, but I strongly disagree with them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.