Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A diagram consisting of rectangles whose area is proportional to the frequency of a variable and whose width is equal to the class interval.
graph, table, tabulation, grid, diagram, guide, scheme, figure, illustrationView synonyms
- ‘The standard procedure for generating a histogram is Graphs Histogram and then selecting the relevant variable.’
- ‘The fluorescent signals are presented as frequency distribution histograms.’
- ‘We inverted the algorithm to generate afterpulse-modified histograms from ideal histograms.’
- ‘Curves are density function or relative frequency histograms across the genome.’
- ‘To see this more clearly we show the frequency histogram for a long cryptogram that was obtained using a Simple Substitution Cipher.’
Late 19th century: from Greek histos ‘mast, web’ + -gram.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.