Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Compatibility between the tissues of different individuals, so that one accepts a graft from the other without giving an immune reaction.
- ‘Blood and tissue typing and histocompatibility tests must be done in advance.’
- ‘Parabiotic mice have been reported to produce stable blood chimerism across major histocompatibility barriers.’
- ‘Major histocompatibility complex genes are known to influence the immune functions.’
- ‘Additionally, the grafts also contain minor histocompatibility antigens, which will elicit a rather slow immune response.’
- ‘However, there are many minor histocompatibility antigens that cannot currently be matched.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.