Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Abnormal growth of hair on a woman's face and body.
- ‘Simultaneously, she was developing hirsutism, excessive growth of body hair.’
- ‘Combined medical interventions may be the most effective treatment approach to hirsutism.’
- ‘If a woman has irregular menses, abrupt hair loss, hirsutism, or acne recurrence, an endocrine evaluation is appropriate.’
- ‘Furthermore, chronic use can lead to hirsutism and gum hypertrophy.’
- ‘Obesity, acne, hirsutism, and acanthosis nigricans may be signs of polycystic ovary syndrome or diabetes mellitus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.