Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A congenital condition in which the rectum and part of the colon fail to develop a normal system of nerves, leading to an accumulation of faeces in the colon following birth.
- ‘In children younger than one year of age, the possibility of Hirschsprung's disease must be considered.’
- ‘Anorectal manometry is indicated to demonstrate the rectoanal inhibitory reflex and to rule out Hirschsprung's disease.’
- ‘Children with an organic cause for constipation, such as Hirschsprung's disease, were excluded.’
- ‘The most common associated conditions include Hirschsprung's disease and imperforate anus.’
- ‘Rarely, vomiting is caused by disordered motility states, the most common of which is Hirschsprung's disease.’
Early 20th century: named after Harald Hirschsprung (1830–1916), Danish paediatrician.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.