One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male domestic servant.
- ‘Officered by the commercial leaders of the city, their rank and file comprised mainly apprentices and hired men rather than householders.’
- ‘The man, the hired man who was to give her away to her groom, was looking down and wore a big, black cowboy hat.’
- ‘There was still no hired man named Jose who would help me balance my checkbook.’
- ‘I also remembered watching my uncle's hired man whitewash the interior of the dairy barn.’
- ‘But both hired men were quickly convinced of HRM's merits by the undeniable evidence in the pasture.’
- ‘He was our hired man for a while when I was growing up.’
- ‘The hatchet job is done by hired men, who usually get Rs 100 in cash, a biryani packet and two bottles of liquor (whisky or rum) per day.’
- ‘Nichols, if I thought I'd hired men like that, I would quit your employment at once.’
- ‘Kira turned to the three remaining hired men, ice glazing her beautiful brown eyes.’
- ‘He penciled in smoke drifting from the chimneys of the hired men's house, the office, and the ministry's dwelling.’
- ‘Why don't you two place yourselves in charge, but delegate the less important matters to a hired man?’
- ‘The call came in soon as he heard the voice of his hired man.’
- ‘It noted that, as models for their work, the Andersons used their cook Emma and hired men from the Transient Bureau, a New Deal Relief Agency.’
- ‘Two days later, hired men came to work sporting a gold wristwatch.’
- ‘She looked up surprised and realized that this man was not a sailor of a hired man.’
- ‘Did a passerby chance to see the danger, or a hired man?’
- ‘He tells Tom, ‘I see now I was working for you like a hired man, and while you were away I sold your property’.’
- ‘The hired man shouted for Mrs. Rooney, but there was no reply.’
- ‘Certainly, like one of Frost's hired men, we have to make allowances for each other's ignorance.’
- ‘He told his father that Greg and Jared were staying with the two hired men at his home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.