One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car hired, or available for hire.
- ‘Renting the entire property costs £1, 180 in May, £2,750 in August, including a group-B hire car.’
- ‘Mr Jefferson, a 36-year-old jobless window fitter at the time, left behind a blue hire car, car keys and other personal documents.’
- ‘Since Tuesday, vehicles including a private hire car and a £13,000 Audi have been whisked away without any warning.’
- ‘My dad said he'd drive up to pick it up because they were taking the hire car to him.’
- ‘If you are going on honeymoon to Barcelona, it makes sense to hire a nice Audi TT rather than your typical hire car.’
- ‘Police recovered the Clio hire car and traced its front-seat passenger, but the driver is still wanted for interview.’
- ‘Given that North Sea crossings are not invariably joyous, the cost differential over a flight and an airport hire car is modest.’
- ‘Pick up a hire car and head out of Dublin on the N7, M7 and M9.’
- ‘The car will be ready soon and we intend to compensate her for the cost of the hire car.’
- ‘We found a hire car was invaluable to see the many sights in a two-hour drive of Marseillan.’
- ‘Usually, I'm pretty slick in a hire car - handle it like my own - but in the creamy fudge of the Carlton's lush interior, I lost it.’
- ‘This year is a little different, as I have a hire car.’
- ‘We recently pre-booked a hire car at Nice airport through Hertz.’
- ‘He even cared about the next American to rent his hire car.’
- ‘If he does go, we're trying to arrange a hire car for him if he gets the call and needs to dash back!’
- ‘I got banned from driving a company hire car because of speeding fines, bus lane fines, and excess damage to the car.’
- ‘Rooms cost from £69 per room per night, and Aaron House can arrange flights and a hire car.’
- ‘They told me they'd managed to get me a hire car and they were sending a taxi to take me to it.’
- ‘There was the American tourist who forgot where he'd left his hire car and spent two-and-a-half hours trawling round York in a taxi trying to find it.’
- ‘Flights from Glasgow and the use of a hire car are included.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.