One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car hired, or available for hire.
- ‘Police recovered the Clio hire car and traced its front-seat passenger, but the driver is still wanted for interview.’
- ‘This year is a little different, as I have a hire car.’
- ‘Rooms cost from £69 per room per night, and Aaron House can arrange flights and a hire car.’
- ‘There was the American tourist who forgot where he'd left his hire car and spent two-and-a-half hours trawling round York in a taxi trying to find it.’
- ‘The car will be ready soon and we intend to compensate her for the cost of the hire car.’
- ‘They told me they'd managed to get me a hire car and they were sending a taxi to take me to it.’
- ‘Renting the entire property costs £1, 180 in May, £2,750 in August, including a group-B hire car.’
- ‘Usually, I'm pretty slick in a hire car - handle it like my own - but in the creamy fudge of the Carlton's lush interior, I lost it.’
- ‘We found a hire car was invaluable to see the many sights in a two-hour drive of Marseillan.’
- ‘He even cared about the next American to rent his hire car.’
- ‘Mr Jefferson, a 36-year-old jobless window fitter at the time, left behind a blue hire car, car keys and other personal documents.’
- ‘We recently pre-booked a hire car at Nice airport through Hertz.’
- ‘I got banned from driving a company hire car because of speeding fines, bus lane fines, and excess damage to the car.’
- ‘Since Tuesday, vehicles including a private hire car and a £13,000 Audi have been whisked away without any warning.’
- ‘Given that North Sea crossings are not invariably joyous, the cost differential over a flight and an airport hire car is modest.’
- ‘Flights from Glasgow and the use of a hire car are included.’
- ‘If he does go, we're trying to arrange a hire car for him if he gets the call and needs to dash back!’
- ‘If you are going on honeymoon to Barcelona, it makes sense to hire a nice Audi TT rather than your typical hire car.’
- ‘Pick up a hire car and head out of Dublin on the N7, M7 and M9.’
- ‘My dad said he'd drive up to pick it up because they were taking the hire car to him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.