Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt or ester of hippuric acid.
- ‘Glycine and sodium benzoate are produced upon the hydrolysis of sodium hippurate by the enzyme hippuricase.’
- ‘Hexamine hippurates is helpful for preventing and treating infections of the urinary system; it acts by being transformed to formaldehyde.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the needle-shaped forms are often confused with hippurate.’
- ‘The benzene rings of the hippurates are in ‘orientational disorder’ adopting two different orientations.’
- ‘Methenamine hippurate is an antibiotic which is used to treat and prevent urinary tract infections.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.