Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the centre of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.
- ‘The hippocampus area in the frontal lobes, the sort of parietal temporal lobes and the frontal lobes.’
- ‘We performed region of interest analysis in two focal brain areas: the hippocampus and the temporal lobes.’
- ‘In five hours, the neurosurgeons removed the remaining tumour, my right hippocampus, and right temporal lobe.’
- ‘Estrogen appears to enhance memory by increasing the number of synapses between nerve cells in the hippocampus.’
- ‘Added estrogen also upped the signaling capacity of nerve cells in the hippocampus, the brain's memory region.’
Late 16th century: via Latin from Greek hippokampos, from hippos horse + kampos sea monster.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.