One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roof with a sharp edge or edges from the ridge to the eaves where the two sides meet.
- ‘Like most of their Mississippian predecessors, they were of wall-trench construction and are interpreted as having had gable or hip roofs.’
- ‘The centre will receive a new hipped roof to replace the sixties style roof, and the different floor levels inside will be brought onto one level so that disabled access will be easier and the premises will be wheelchair friendly.’
- ‘It is a two-story square colonial with a double hip roof.’
- ‘A large red hip roof barn will be developed into a central gathering place for recreation, food and drinks.’
- ‘All that is then missing is the end opposite the hip roof.’
- ‘The apartment building was extensively rebuilt in 1994/95 and the existing hipped roof was replaced by a Mansard type roof to provide an additional floor.’
- ‘Like Feature 7 at the Vaughn Branch site, it contained a central post, reflecting a gable or hip roof construction.’
- ‘It was often built from timber, pisé, wattle-and-daub, slab, or other local materials, rather than brick or stone, and with a hipped roof of thatch or shingle.’
- ‘The hip roof with four chimneys, for example, duplicates the roof of Charles Symonds's house.’
- ‘With its adobe walls and Dutch hip roof, the home borrows from both Sonoran and Territorial styles.’
- ‘There were gable roofs, modified Dutch hips and even pagoda-style curved hip roofs.’
- ‘In the spirit of the colonial revival, they replaced the Victorian era mansard roof with a hip roof with dormers.’
- ‘The present hip roofs did not belong there, and the new proposals are further detrimental to the area's appearance.’
- ‘Principal Planning Officer Martin Sellens said an ideal resolution for both sides was to have a hipped roof on the end of the flats block overlooking existing properties.’
- ‘The hip roof is punctuated with four tall chimneys, and at the base of the elaborate cornice is a finely carved rope molding.’
- ‘It may be that the change in form and lack of central posts reflect a shift from a hip roof with interior roof supports to a gable roof with a large central beam support.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.