One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pocket in the back of a pair of trousers.
- ‘As the cars rocketed out of turn 4 Schroeder brought the field to the green and down into turn 1 with George right on his hip pocket.’
- ‘Never has the hip pocket nerve twitched so violently.’
- ‘We'll hurt them at the hip pocket because no-one will see their ads!’
- ‘He walked in the house one evening and pulled it from his hip pocket saying, ‘Do you want this?’’
- ‘It's nice to be in each other's hip pockets all the way through, instead of just walking past each other amidst a cast of thousands.’
- ‘‘Okay, that's it,’ Jeremiah said, stepping back and wiping his hands on a rag he had tucked in the hip pocket of his jeans.’
- ‘He stuffed Marisa's bikini top into his hip pocket and continued forward.’
- ‘Pulling his watch out of his hip pocket, he glanced at it.’
- ‘Best of all, the Hipster PDA fits into your hip pocket and costs practically nothing to purchase and maintain.’
- ‘With trousers and skirts the label is commonly on the waistband and/or the hip pockets.’
- ‘She lifted her chin defiantly, shoving her hands into the hip pockets of her jeans.’
- ‘Selfish by nature, nothing makes people change their ways like hitting their hip pockets with fines, charges and financial incentives.’
- ‘Reaching the others, he dug into his hip pocket.’
- ‘John searched his left hip pocket, and pulled out a small card.’
- ‘Ellie sat on a nearby treestump, and from her hip pocket removed a swiped flask of blue wine from the Aluminum Falcon.’
- ‘‘So what's your master plan ’, Steve asked, pulling out a cleaning cloth from his hip pocket, and began to clean the lens on the scope.’
- ‘Even in summer, stuff lightweight gloves into a hip pocket.’
- ‘A lizard ran up his pants but he captured it right next to his hip pocket.’
- ‘She stood up to leave, but felt Normrak grab her hip pocket, holding her there and he refused to release her.’
- ‘But the day is coming when the card will be linked to the Air Force member in more ways than just carried in the hip pocket.’
in someone's hip pocket
Completely under someone's control.
- ‘If you want to get someone in your hip pocket, the way to do it is to induce a tremendous amount of anxiety and become the agent who relieves that sense of anxiety.’
- ‘Your Father Adrian has them in his hip pocket.’
- ‘Every defense attorney has it in their hip pocket, and they're using it.’
- ‘He has a colossal campaign war chest, the conservative media in his hip pocket, and the rock solid backing of evangelicals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.