Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a garment) reaching down to the hips.‘a hip-length jacket’
- ‘He was wearing dark blue sports trousers, a similar coloured hip-length jacket and a blue-grey woolly hat.’
- ‘Over the drawers she put on either a hip-length knitted vest and a short petticoat or a chemise.’
- ‘Sierra Designs pulled off a complex juggling act to produce a hip-length, multifeatured parka that tips the scales at 20 ounces.’
- ‘He was wearing white trainers and a hip-length jacket in thin material.’
- ‘By the 1930s, Pringle had formalised the design into a simple, hip-length cardigan and matching top.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.