One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of the two back wings of a four-winged insect.
- ‘Ancient Wings allows users to see how the ventral hindwing of 54 butterflies in the genus Bicyclus have changed over time.’
- ‘We recorded pronotum length, mean hind femur length, mean forewing length, and mean hindwing length for each individual.’
- ‘You can tell it's a ‘she’ by the relatively thick wing veins and the lack of a pouch-like swelling on a vein on the hindwing.’
- ‘The hindwings are usually so decayed as to be unrecognizable.’
- ‘Halteres are the tiny club-shaped hindwings characteristic of all flies.’
- ‘In the adult female Owl butterfly, parasitic wasps ride on the mother's hindwing and jump off like pirates as she deposits her treasure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.