Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the two back wings of a four-winged insect.
- ‘We recorded pronotum length, mean hind femur length, mean forewing length, and mean hindwing length for each individual.’
- ‘Halteres are the tiny club-shaped hindwings characteristic of all flies.’
- ‘Ancient Wings allows users to see how the ventral hindwing of 54 butterflies in the genus Bicyclus have changed over time.’
- ‘In the adult female Owl butterfly, parasitic wasps ride on the mother's hindwing and jump off like pirates as she deposits her treasure.’
- ‘The hindwings are usually so decayed as to be unrecognizable.’
- ‘You can tell it's a ‘she’ by the relatively thick wing veins and the lack of a pouch-like swelling on a vein on the hindwing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.