One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of the two back limbs of an animal.
- ‘The interclavicle is absent and the forelimbs are usually markedly shorter than the hindlimbs.’
- ‘Frogs have radically truncated vertebral columns, relatively large hindlimbs, and a well-developed array of epaxial musculature.’
- ‘Also, dinosaurs have exactly the wrong anatomy for developing flight, with their large tails and hindlimbs and short forelimbs.’
- ‘With baboons the forelimbs and hindlimbs are both rather leg-like, and support the animal as it moves quadrupedally over the ground, rather like a dog.’
- ‘Both the forelimb and the hindlimb have one long bone that attaches to the body at one end and to two long bones at the other end.’
- ‘The forelimbs are smaller than the hindlimbs, but the disparity in size is not as great as in kangaroos and wallabies.’
- ‘Most muscles in both the forelimb and hindlimb are gracile, with simple parallel fibered strap-like architecture.’
- ‘The limbs are long, and the hindlimbs are longer than forelimbs and in most are well adapted for running.’
- ‘They were clearly active hunters, and the hindlimbs were much larger than the forelimbs.’
- ‘The forelimbs and hindlimbs are transformed into paddles.’
- ‘Sharovipteryx is a strange animal with what appears to be a membrane of skin stretched between the hindlimbs and tail.’
- ‘Why develop an entirely new genetic program for hindlimbs?’
- ‘At slow speed, macropodids land on their forelimbs and tail, while swinging their hindlimbs forward.’
- ‘In summary, an elaborate locomotor pattern is still expressed in the hindlimbs after complete spinalisation.’
- ‘Adults are stout-bodied, with strong hindlimbs and webbed feet.’
- ‘Both forelimbs and hindlimbs are short and heavily built.’
- ‘The hindlimbs have three claws and are also syndactylous.’
- ‘The forelimbs and hindlimbs of vertebrates arise at precise positions along the antero-posterior axis of the body.’
- ‘Both hindlimbs are directed outward from the pelvis, with the superbly preserved pedes exposed splayed out in dorsal view.’
- ‘This is deceiving; it looks like the head and wing bones were too bulky, and the hindlimbs appear small and weak.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.