One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The pastime of walking in hilly country.
- ‘Born in Prestwick in Ayrshire, John Currie was always interested in choral music, although he has a strong sideline in rather serious hillwalking.’
- ‘Together with his wife, John owns a pony called Gypsy and his other interests include hillwalking and walking his dog.’
- ‘The hillwalking which claimed Robin Cook's life yesterday was a pastime with many allegories to his political career.’
- ‘I enjoy hillwalking and climbing and getting some fresh air.’
- ‘All of the rooms have breathtaking views over the Borders countryside where hiking, hillwalking and horseriding are all available.’
- ‘He also enjoyed hillwalking at home and abroad.’
- ‘However, O'Kane's favourite pastime is hillwalking in the Wicklow hills.’
- ‘It is also believed he had been suitably dressed for hillwalking, but temperatures fell below freezing in the area on Saturday night.’
- ‘The camp will include hillwalking, sailing, canoeing and an exciting island survival night.’
- ‘The circuit of all four tops makes a long, magnificent day's hillwalking.’
- ‘The group shares an interest in mountain biking, hillwalking and trekking.’
- ‘In the UK, hillwalking is practically a national institution.’
- ‘I do enjoy hillwalking but don't get to do it as often as I'd like.’
- ‘While many would plump for winter as Scotland's best hillwalking season, I find it difficult to choose between spring and autumn.’
- ‘A fitness fanatic, she lists squash and hillwalking as some of her favourite activities - both passions she shares with Dickson.’
- ‘He had an interest in hillwalking and owned two dogs, which were found unattended at his house.’
- ‘‘More people than ever are going out hillwalking and the mountains are getting much busier,’ the spokesman said.’
- ‘The funding is quite low for a country that promotes outdoor activity and hillwalking holidays, according to Mr Christie.’
- ‘He is involved a hillwalking group that calls itself the Hillocks, taking trips in Wicklow and two annual trips to Clifden.’
- ‘He enjoys hillwalking, although he has bagged only a few Munros and is looking forward to claiming many more.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.