One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fort built on a hill, in particular an area on a hilltop enclosed by a system of defensive banks and ditches, as used by Iron Age peoples in NW Europe.
- ‘On the way from Delhi to Jaipur are the hill forts of Jaigarh and Nahargarh that look down on the city.’
- ‘Amongst the hill forts are Emain Macha, Ráth na Ríogh at Tara, Grianán Ailigh in Donegal, and Dún Aonghusa on Aranmore.’
- ‘Archaeologists have identified one of Britain's largest prehistoric hill forts in the North Yorkshire Moors.’
- ‘It is located on the site of an Iron Age hill fort discovered in 1995, excavated and studied by the local archaeological trust.’
- ‘Two years later his ashes were brought back and laid to rest in a huge ceremony at the hill fort of Okoki on 8 August 1954.’
- ‘The archaeological interest is provided by the remains of an ancient hill fort called Dun da Lamh - the fort of two hands.’
- ‘Long before its construction an Iron Age hill fort of the 6th century B.C. occupied the site, its double ditch can still be seen on the west of the castle.’
- ‘He is trying to make himself return to the hill fort, to stand four square with his brothers against the Romans.’
- ‘The site, on the western edge of Salisbury Plain, near Warminster, is one of the best preserved and most significant Iron Age hill forts in Wiltshire.’
- ‘Across Britain and Ireland there are thousands of Iron Age barrows and burial mounds, and hundreds of Iron Age hill forts.’
- ‘The new stone circle has 108 stones, eight of which are very large, arranged in two circles and built near the site of an Iron Age hill fort.’
- ‘The name Dumyat is thought to mean hill fort of the Maeatae.’
- ‘During this time they visited a local market in Pisac in the Urabamba Valley and also Sacsayhuaman, an Inca hill fort above Cusco.’
- ‘Crowned with the ruins of a Bronze Age hill fort and a mobile-phone mast, The Wrekin is the subject of much local mythology.’
- ‘The main focal points in the park are the Iron Age hill fort, which covers around 12 acres.’
- ‘This area is also rich in ancient hill forts, Danebury and Woolbury ring Forts being close by.’
- ‘The Wrekin is an important and well known small hill in Shropshire with the remains of an Iron Age hill fort at its summit.’
- ‘Battlesbury Camp, on the western edge of Salisbury Plain is one of the best preserved and most significant of the 50 Iron Age hill forts in the county.’
- ‘The other photo is of Barbary Castle, the ancient hill fort just south of Wroughton, and was taken in 1948.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.