Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people inhabiting Panay, Negros, and other islands in the central Philippines.
- ‘The Hiligaynons are the next major group and occupy parts of the Western Visayas.’
- ‘The Tagalogs, Bicolanos, Boholanos, Siquijodnons, Cebuanos, Davaoenos, Hiligaynons, etc, have added more color to the already rich cultural diversity of the place.’
- ‘Many of its inhabitants are migrants from the Visayas such as Warays and Hiligaynons.’
- ‘These are also part of our cultural heritage as Hiligaynons like the churches, old houses, old establishments, cemetery capillas, historical sites, etc.’
- ‘Hence Sarangani's population today is largely a mix of migrant Hiligaynons, Cebuanos, Ilocanos, Tagalogs and Muslims.’
- ‘Visayas, especially Hiligaynons, now comprise the majority of people living within the province.’
- ‘Other cultural groups present in the municipality are the Hiligaynons, Warays, Bagobos, Butuanos, Tibolis and Manobos.’
- ‘The Hiligaynon, like all Filipinos, enjoy watching television and going to the movies.’
- ‘The sword is mentioned in ancient Filipino epics, e. g., Hinilawod of the Hiligaynons.’
2[mass noun] The Austronesian language of the Hiligaynon, with about 5 million speakers.Also called Ilonggo
- ‘Half of the children were taught completely in English for four grades while other children were taught first for two years in Hiligaynon.’
- ‘Other regions of Panay have their own distinct speech forms, but these are mutually intelligible with Hiligaynon.’
Relating to the Hiligaynon or their language.
- ‘The Hiligaynon language is the language of Iloilo province, which has come to be spoken throughout the Western Visayas region.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.