One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in South Asia) a person whose birth sex is male but who identifies as female or as neither male nor female.
- ‘For the thousands of hijras who throng Koovakam dressed as brides for Aravan, theirs is a martyr's role.’
- ‘I'll drive relishing the solitude; and there are lots of hijras in Jaisalmer.’
- ‘This tradition is reflected today among hijras in India and as well as in cultures in other parts of the world.’
- ‘If one boy wanted to taunt another, all he had to do was clap-clap, pause, and the message was clear: ‘You are nothing but a hijra.’’
- ‘In India I spent some time studying the hijras, a defined group of men who live as women.’
- 1.1historical A eunuch.
Hindi, literally ‘eunuch’.
- variant form of Hegira
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.