One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Holding a position of great power, influence, or status.‘highly placed sources said the prime minister faced stiff opposition at the meeting’
- ‘The names of highly placed prominent individuals are associated with the movement.’
- ‘One highly placed insider says the current thinking is that the new top exec needs more experience working with all the divisions before he ultimately takes over.’
- ‘No wonder the highly placed figures around that table felt we needed a long, tough look at our constitutional arrangements.’
- ‘This was confirmed by a highly placed banking source at the beginning of February 2002.’
- ‘In the picture, his face carried the detached confidence of the highly placed functionary.’
- ‘His association with the police later led to rumours that the assassination had been arranged with the complicity of highly placed officials.’
- ‘Any alleged link between organized crime, money laundering, drugs, and highly placed staff in the provincial government demands all hands on deck.’
- ‘He started illegally to import everything from cars and gasoline to electronics and cigarettes on behalf of his highly placed friends.’
- ‘This was a long-standing fraud committed by a man who was highly placed in both organizations.’
- ‘He may be arrogant about his learning, his wealth, or the support he gets from highly placed persons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.