One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A broad marker pen used to overlay transparent fluorescent colour on text or a part of an illustration.
- ‘I'm one of those people who reads books with a highlighter or pen and I note passages that I find particularly meaningful/moving/well-written/enraging.’
- ‘I ended up sitting reading it on the long journey southwards to London, with my highlighter and red pencil, marking the errors in the book as I read.’
- ‘When I left for pastures new, I had literally a couple of dozen pencils, disposable ballpoints, marker pens, and highlighters stashed in my top drawer.’
- ‘Keep the study zone bright and clean, keep study supplies like pens, paper, highlighters and a dictionary on hand, and keep it free of distractions like the television, the telephone and loud music.’
- ‘‘Aunt Lori is getting married,’ Sherri commented, marking the date with a highlighter in her appointment book.’
2A cosmetic used to emphasize features such as the eyes or cheekbones.
- ‘The creamy concealers and highlighters in Pixi's Eye Bright Kit are the ultimate cover-up for bleary eyes the morning after the night before.’
- ‘Adding a drop or two of a liquid highlighter to your foundation will increase luminosity and produce an overall glow.’
- ‘Imitate the look with the newest highlighters or light-reflecting lotions and tints, which help scatter light, leaving you with a noticeably glowing look.’
- ‘The four eyeshadows are easy to apply (with fingertips) and also double up as highlighters and lipgloss.’
- ‘I used highlighter under the eyebrows and silver on her eyes and a purply-mauve on her lips with a pink gloss.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.