Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A broad marker pen used to overlay transparent fluorescent colour on text or a part of an illustration.
- ‘Keep the study zone bright and clean, keep study supplies like pens, paper, highlighters and a dictionary on hand, and keep it free of distractions like the television, the telephone and loud music.’
- ‘I ended up sitting reading it on the long journey southwards to London, with my highlighter and red pencil, marking the errors in the book as I read.’
- ‘I'm one of those people who reads books with a highlighter or pen and I note passages that I find particularly meaningful/moving/well-written/enraging.’
- ‘When I left for pastures new, I had literally a couple of dozen pencils, disposable ballpoints, marker pens, and highlighters stashed in my top drawer.’
- ‘‘Aunt Lori is getting married,’ Sherri commented, marking the date with a highlighter in her appointment book.’
2A cosmetic used to emphasize features such as the eyes or cheekbones.
- ‘Adding a drop or two of a liquid highlighter to your foundation will increase luminosity and produce an overall glow.’
- ‘The four eyeshadows are easy to apply (with fingertips) and also double up as highlighters and lipgloss.’
- ‘The creamy concealers and highlighters in Pixi's Eye Bright Kit are the ultimate cover-up for bleary eyes the morning after the night before.’
- ‘I used highlighter under the eyebrows and silver on her eyes and a purply-mauve on her lips with a pink gloss.’
- ‘Imitate the look with the newest highlighters or light-reflecting lotions and tints, which help scatter light, leaving you with a noticeably glowing look.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.