One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meeting for athletic events, playing of the bagpipes, and dancing, held in the Scottish Highlands or by Scots elsewhere.
- ‘The Clanloddoch games and gathering are the most famed of the Highland Games.’
- ‘It is the Deeside village that plays host to the most famous Highland Games in the world, graced every year by the Queen and her family when residing on the neighbouring Balmoral estate.’
- ‘Since the 1960s, however, interest in Scottish culture has been reinvigorated through the rise and spread of an extensive circuit of traveling Highland Games.’
- ‘The set-piece of the weekend is the excursion to the Highland Games in nearby Callander.’
- ‘The Scottish Highland Games, held on July 14 and 15, feature a variety of traditional and contemporary Scottish music and athletic events.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.